Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Avocado as baby's first food


I have had many people ask me why I feed my babies Avocado as their first food and they tell me they have never heard of doing this.  I had first heard of it in La Lache League. With my first baby, I followed what all the popular baby books and magazines say and started with rice cereal and slowly introduced vegetables and then fruits.  But, my second and third baby I chose not to use rice cereal at all and did not even use jarred baby food or purees.  I waited until Savannah was around 7 months old and simply chopped up an avocado into small pieces and she happily feeds herself.  The next food was a banana and the cooked sweet potato.  


Avocados are a great first food for baby.  They are bursting with essential fats and nutrients that a growing baby needs. They are smooth and creamy and easily digested and well tolerated by most babies.

Vitamins:  A, C, Niacin, Folate
Minerals: Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, Magnesium, Calcium

1. Peel and take out the pit of a ripe avocado - do not cook
2. Cut “meat” out and mash with a fork
3. There should be no need to use a machine as just like bananas, avocados have a very soft consistency and texture. Avocados do not need to be cooked
4. Add formula/breast milk or water to thin




No comments:

Post a Comment